BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #zonday-0 | 2020-06-24 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

i don't really know why i made this

it was based off some bait and switch site that had chocolate rain as one of the options

mainly wanted to practice making/porting music to this thing

P#78455 2020-06-24 05:56

Today was the first day I did a videogame with my son.

He's 3 years old. He helped me pick all the colors and with design decision, like what kind of dinosaur to include and what he would be doing.

The game itself is literally 6 if blocks, and I wrote it pretty quickly, starting from api.pb . It still felt like an eternity to my toddler! He could see progress while I was drawing the dino and the flowers, but the programming part was meaningless to him. He was vociferously demanding progress. A true client. I had to cut many features. Bounds checking, for example, only works partially. It became a feature ("ooooh where did the dinosaur go?")

CONTROLS: Move with arrows, water flowers with Z.

Cleaned up before publishing.

Cart #dinowateringflowers-0 | 2020-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#78442 2020-06-23 20:49 ( Edited 2020-06-23 21:08)

Run and jump your way to the magical ice cream. :)

My very first PICO-8 game, but not my first time trying game development. I made it over a three day weekend, maybe eight hours? I used the "collide.p8" demo as a reference.

Once you make it to the ice cream you've pretty much seen the entire game.

Cart #kpugefn-1 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#78441 2020-06-23 20:44

Cart #selenes_slumber_wip-2 | 2020-06-27 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Now finished: the complete dream of Selene, a girl who wants to get a good night's sleep. Avoid the alarm clocks!

My first "full" Pico 8 game. I can't wait to make more games!

There are a couple of things I wanted to do that went undone, but I think it's time to move on.

P#78439 2020-06-23 19:41 ( Edited 2020-06-27 00:25)

Cart #baba_is_you-0 | 2020-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

a tiny baba clone!

P#78426 2020-06-23 13:23

Cart #rubaketufe-0 | 2020-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I've been working on this game for a month or so on and off. I still have some janky code in the mix, but I've got my basic three enemy types and am currently working on a system for arranging levels and building a sub-boss and boss to complete the initial goals I laid out. I'm moreso uploading to motivate myself to keep going.

P#78419 2020-06-23 05:02 ( Edited 2020-06-23 05:04)

Cart #dollarone_colour_factory-0 | 2020-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My entry for the 9th alakajam

Colour Factory is a puzzle game much like Pipe Dream, only with colours. You connect pipes to certain processors that can mix or distil the colour into secondary or primary colours. You have been given some input colour(s) and the wanted output colours have been decided. Now it's up to you to create them!

There is also a timed challenge specifically made for the ScoreSpace x Alakajam tournament: who can create the right factory fastest? The timer ends when you hit the factory button. Good luck!

I added mouse support in the last hour or so, do let me know if there's any bugs!

Apart from that, use arrows and X to place pipes, and Z to focus on the factory button (and then X to confirm you want to start it!).

P#78415 2020-06-23 01:13 ( Edited 2020-06-23 01:16)

Cart #mazidubara-0 | 2020-06-23 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

This is the first game I made since I had a TRS-80 long ago!

It's another version of Pong. I was trying to learn PICO-8 and needed a project so I made Pong as if it were made in the 1980s on something like a Nintendo. I'm sure its mechanics are different than real Pong, but I haven't played that since I had a real Atari with paddle controllers. This is from memory and it fixes a few things I remember not liking about Pong.

I tried to make the A.I. work differently that just tracking the ball's location with some constraints to give the player a chance. Instead it predicts the future location at a couple places like a human would. As the player starts to win, the A.I. improves. That way it shouldn't be too hard to get a few points in, but winning gets a little harder. Play ends at 11. The paddles have some physics and bounce off the walls a little.

Not award-winning, but a fun project. I enjoyed watching my daughter play!

P#78412 2020-06-23 00:20

Hi, not posted before but I thought some of you might like to see this setup that I've been playing with;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaacP4N1ew4

It's running on four 64x64 LED matrices, I think it looks pretty nice. The flicker/scan lines in the video aren't visible in person, it's an effect of the camera - but I may try tweaking the refresh to make a better video.

P#78410 2020-06-22 22:47

My entry for scorespace x alakajam

You have an important job: While everyone is staying inside due to an alien invasion, you're out there making sure people can make phone calls. Do your best and survive!

Cart #aliencallection-2 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#78406 2020-06-22 19:41

Cart #morecolors-2 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Run the cart and you will see more colors that are not in pico 8 how I got them is I drew a square of one color and then a square of another and used _update60() to change them really fast and it goes too fast for our eyes so it looks like the colors are combined.
the squares on top are the solid ones and the ones on the bottom are checkered. the ones in the middle are normal pico 8 colors.
feel free to use this in any of your games.

P#78405 2020-06-22 19:30 ( Edited 2020-06-22 19:46)

Cart #bondstones-0 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This is my 72h entry for alakajam #9 !!

Rules ( basic )

• A link is created between stones sharing a color or a shape.
  • Chain of 12+ stones will explodes increasing score and experience

Rules ( advanced )

• Each time you level up, a random malus is drawn in the list.
  • Complete some specific conditions to increase your combo values.
  • The first time you complete a condition, you win a trophy accordingly
  • Gain 3,5,10,15 trophies for bonus score.

Controls

left/right : move piece
down : drop piece
up/w : turn piece
x : check trophies list

P#78404 2020-06-22 18:30 ( Edited 2020-06-25 12:27)

Cart #picoquest_v1_2_1-3 | 2021-02-17 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Second game created using the Pico-8 fantasy console. Loosely based off the board game Heroquest with some adaptations and workarounds for the limited space. 4 different characters, 6 different levels.

Update: Added in a bunch of quality of life changes when inside the game so you have a better idea of what's going on. Changed the scenario around so hopefully a little more epic (and difficult) ending to the 6 levels. Uses a different cart ID as removed one item so items got renumbered. Unless any major defects are present should be last version (speaking of which, I think there might be a random bug with the ambush code which I've not been able to track down yet).

Update 2: After the last update including Split(), I reworked the code a bit to allow music and sound effects.
Update 2 - part 2: Made a minor error with the coding, uploaded a fixed version so it should now no longer crash on scenario 3!

P#78402 2020-06-22 16:34 ( Edited 2021-02-17 08:35)

Found on windows 0.2.0I
If you select text in the console window and then execute a printh call, PICO-8 hangs seemingly indefinitely

P#78397 2020-06-22 15:24

I'm posting this here because I'm not sure if it will get any more development, but this is a game I made for a 1-Bit weekend game jam (this one: https://itch.io/jam/1-bit-weekend). The game itself is "complete" in that there are no half-finished levels or artwork, it's just a little short due to the time constraints (it was a 3 day jam but work meant I only really had 2 days). Anyway, here it is. More info below if you're interested.

Cart #radtown0-0 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The game and art was done entirely by me, and my partner in music projects put together some nice tunes (all the music was by him). You can find the Itch page here; https://b3agz.itch.io/escape-from-radtown. But to save you a click, here's the text from the page:

Radtown is a radioactive mess. I mean, really; it's in the name. You want out, but the city's high walls and inexplicable moat of radioactive waste makes escaping a little tricky.

But you have a special power.

Using a mysterious mirror you can shift into the, uhm, Mirror World...ok I'mma level with you. This game was created for a 3 day game jam and the story does't make a whole lot of sense. Just go with it.

The jam in question was Aspect Manufacture's 1 Bit Weekend, where the restriction was to create a game using only two colours (at one time) using at least one of the following themes;

Radioactive
Reflections
Dragons
So that's that. The controls are standard Pico controls (arrow keys and Z / X for actions), but there's a tutorial bit in the game. This was a lot of fun to make. It's not very long for obvious reasons, but I hope you enjoy it.

And, for those what might be interested, I also streamed the first couple hours of the jam,

P#78393 2020-06-22 14:39

Cart #telmaze_mj_2020_fixed-4 | 2020-07-11 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Fixed Version:

Cart #telmaze_mj_2020_fixed-1 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

A game I made for the Mid-Jam 2020 together with ZeHa in less than a day.

The goal is the exit of the maze, you will need to go through a lot of teleporters to get there!

Some teleporters will have levers with the same colors.

Controls:
Left/Right/Up/Down - Movement

Credits:
EV3R4 [Programming, Graphics]
ZeHa [Idea, Level Design, Music]

This game can be played on itchio: https://ev3r4.itch.io/telmaze-mj-2020-fixed

P#78391 2020-06-22 12:24 ( Edited 2020-10-30 14:01)

Cart #cave_adventures_with_ducky-0 | 2020-06-22 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#78389 2020-06-22 09:46 ( Edited 2020-06-22 10:01)

It seems like it's just counting the number of parameters passed into EXPORT? "index.html" is the resulting exported file but it's counted as if it's a cart.

P#78368 2020-06-21 15:38

Strangely in my game's HTML export the controls aren't working for iOS(Apple) phones but work fine in android.

I'm using 0.2.0i

Multiple users have reported this for my game on Itch.io here: https://lambdanaut.itch.io/picowars

Has anyone seen this bug before? Can anyone else try to to replicate it?
I wish I could test this myself, but I don't have an iOS device : (

P#78366 2020-06-21 15:33 ( Edited 2020-06-21 15:33)

hi there,

one of the most annoying things in PICO-8 for me is when i'm building a map and I always have to switch back and forth into the sprite palette (at the bottom of the screen) to pick a different sprite.

one solution would be to make this palette toggleable with a keyboard shortcut. this would at least make it faster, because i wouldn't have to move the mouse for that.

so far i haven't found any info about such a shortcut. would it be possible to include this in a future release?

P#78365 2020-06-21 15:13
View Older Posts